Monday, September 22, 2014

Dress to Impress: Business Casual to Dinner Date in Minutes

For many of us, it is hard to balance both work and our social life. Throw college student on top of that and you've got a deadly combo. Luckily, I have a relatively simple solution to save some time when balancing your work and/or college life with your social one.

In the illustration below, I have made two outfits that can work for a long day at school or your job and then be easily transitioned into an outfit for a night on the town.

On the left side of the illustration, we have a sweater dress that is comfortable enough to last throughout the day and into the night. I have paired the sweater dress with a belt to cinch in at the waist to give some definition to the usually shapeless dress. For shoes, I chose a classic high-heeled boot that is perfect for fall and winter.

For accessories, I paired the dress, belt, and boots with a smart black and white bag that is big enough for all your work essentials as well as anything else you need to pack for after work. I also put a watch into the mix for a little bit of flash, but a nice bracelet would also do the trick.
For the transition to your date night or dinner out with friends, I kept the same dress (Woohoo! No awkward changing in the Wiekamp bathroom stalls!) and paired it with a different belt that keeps your dress shapely but gives it a fun something extra.

For the accessories on this outfit, I tried to keep it classic but also find things that were going to fit in the bag from the business casual outfit. The shoes are simple suede black booties, paired with a fold-over clutch and onyx-like earrings. I think this outfit is sophisticated and sexy without trying to hard. It also has a little bit of a playful side that makes it so charming.

I made my illustration on Polyvore, where you can put together outfits at your leisure if you so wish. I find this extremely helpful as they have just about every clothing item you can think of so the chances of them having actual pieces that are in your closet are very high.

If you have any questions please leave them in the comments below! I hope you liked my very first blog post!Double Duty Dress


Sweater dress
alloyapparel.com


Tory Burch leather boots
toryburch.com



Miu Miu leather tote
mytheresa.com


Anne Grand Clement black purse
$465 - brownsfashion.com



Coast black earrings
$15 - coast-stores.com


Forever 21 black belt
forever21.com


Biba black belt
$37 - houseoffraser.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. I think that the outfits you put together are really cute. Do you have any suggestions where to get more reasonably priced for the shoes and handbags, especially for college girls on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cora

    I liked the outfit you put together because it's functional for daytime activities like work and class and it would transition well to a night on the town outfit. The accessories that you chose are nice, classic pieces that really pull the look together. I find it convenient that all of the items are listed with links to the websites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comments! All of the pieces from both of the outfits are meant to be a point of reference for what style of boot, bag, belt, etc. that would look best with the other pieces. I seem to have good luck finding less expensive boots or bags at DSW and TJ Maxx. Next post I will try and pay more attention to the price of the items. :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete